Earlier today, I posted in my Facebook status: What's the biggest mistake you've ever done in your life, and what did you do to make it right? (From Q&A in Miss Universe, controversial question to our Ms. Philippines). Then someone asked me how I would answer it, and I commented:
If I would be asked this tough question, here's my tough and honest answer.... The biggest mistake I've ever done in my life is foolishly trying to be perfect to please everyone. I've been tough on myself trying to compete all the time and comparing myself with others - believing that I am better or not better than everybody else.... What I did to make it right is simply appreciate myself for what I am blessed with and what I have to share to others and the world even if I can't be nearly perfect and can't please everybody - that I can be myself, love myself, laugh at myself and believe in myself to be simply the best that I can be in everything that I do... Trust me, life is so much easier to live when you're just yourself and not trying to be someone you're not. Thank you.
I posted this just for fun as our country's bet, Ms. Philippines - Venus Raj, has received massive criticism over her English and her non-winning answer... Sadly, she was feasted and judged by rude, arrogant and shameless Filipinos and other international critics all over the internet... most of them can't even write their criticism in English well online.
I wanted to defend Venus Raj somehow here in my blog as I am also a Filipina woman and I had my share of experiences in beauty pageants in my younger days. That question was a tough one for a 22 year old. What kind of "major, major mistake or problem" in life could a 22 year old girl like her ever have? I mean, she didn't drop out of college or did stupid things like eloped with some handsome loser? But instead, she fought her way to this Miss Universe pageant, from the bukid to Las Vegas, and just laughed at herself after realizing her answer on stage... For me, that's true bravery, and how many girls like her can ever do that?
She's obviously a "promdi" like me. I can relate to her being still naive at 22, and obviously being raised in a very well-sheltered family. Unfortunately, that gave her a disadvantage in winning the crown, but she's still the winner in many people's hearts, including mine.
For me, even though she's not a typical Filipina beauty - in my opinion, Venus Raj is a true Fabulous Pinay. At the end of the day, we all know that she represented our country very well and she made us proud being in the Top 5!
I found this video interview of Venus Raj that you all should see!
Another video interview of Venus Raj, just being herself and being funny. For me, the sexiest thing in any woman is that she can make fun of herself!
1 comment:
Any girl can get pretty nervous sometime - even if it was me in her place in the stage Q&A in Miss Universe! I graduated AB English (Mass Comm/Journalism) in college just like her as well and I would admit, I've been criticized in my English, too, especially when I first got here in the States. But that experience challenged me to learn to speak and write English much better.
Post a Comment