
So my father's birthday was this week (he's in the Philippines) and I thought of him a lot. I don't even remember the last time I was with him on his birthday. But I tried to remember all the times that he impacted me with strong core values such as, achieving academic and career success, creating a loving and trusting relationship, dealing well with people in authority, and a lot more. But the one that stood up in my mind was what he told me about beauty... that my beauty is power and a privilege.. that it is God's natural gift to me, and that I should use it to influence people in good ways.
Now that I'm more mature and I don't get to spend much time with my dad anymore, I have observed him a lot and understood why I am the way I am... Like my dad, I like strong over-flowing coffee with lots of sugar and cream. I love anything sweet, and anything greasy, like greasy peanuts, sisig, and Chinese food, especially pancit canton. I also inherited my dad's sense of humor and his charisma around people. I also got from my father his love of classic and country music, and his deep appreciation to simple life like nature trips and scenic views.
So I was listening to the music of my favorite country singer, Taylor Swift, and as I listened carefully to the lyrics of her new song "Never Grow Up"... a strong rush of emotion just overwhelmed me as I drove home that night. It was already getting dark fast and snowing lightly, and suddenly my tears were almost blinding me... I, then, remembered the scent of my dad's pomade, the gassy smell of his Renegade when he comes home from work, and when both him and my mom told me how fond they were of me when I was a baby and that they wished I "never grow up" and just stay pure and little... So as this song says...
No comments:
Post a Comment