"What did I do to my self?"
I uttered these words after watching the movie "Evan Almighty" last weekend. This was Steve Carrell's movie years ago and I caught this scene where he was kneeling by his bedside, and he was awkwardly praying to God to help him change the world.
I remember I also prayed awkwardly to God to show me how I can change the world, starting in me... I prayed for Him to make me grateful, faithful, trusting, giving, loving, forgiving, to love myself more and to live an abundant and amazing life so I can inspire others... Then, I thought "what the heck I am thinking? Well, you are God and you put this crazy thought in my head".... And my life went on and I was very conscious ever since of what could possibly happen. Am I gonna be on TV, am I gonna be a big celebrity, am I gonna be in Dancing with the Stars.... How I wish! I went to work, read my usual books, went out with my friends, eat, relax, enjoy with my husband, watch funny movies, clean my house... Nothing too significant changed and I got a little frustrated and sometimes bored. In my mind, I was waiting for a big chance or opportunity where I would say... "This is it. I better keep my ducks in a row now, because I am just about to breakthough and change the world!" I can't wait to blog about it andtell you how amazing it was to be able to do that....
There was a scene in this "Evan Almighty" movie that struck me like a lightning, and it was when GOD (played by Morgan Freeman) said:
Let me ask you something. If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed for courage, does God give him courage, or does he give him opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for the family to be closer, do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does he give them opportunities to love each other?
I never swear in my life, but I swear God spoke to me in that movie. For the entire week, I've been trying to digest this quote like I would digest a big slab of steak cooked to my well-done perfection (I'm hungry while writing this)... as it has given me hope and encouragement to embrace all these opportunities that are about to come to me so I can be "the change I want to see in the world"....
Crazily I thought, and humbly I felt... and surely I can testify that I had those opportunities come to me in my life, not just lately since I blogged about it, but for many years ago, since I can remember. I am grateful through times that I had plenty and times that I had none... I am faithful when I looked fear and doubt in the eye and cast it out of my sight, and trusted God at moments when I have given up on something I can not control (coz I'm such a control freak sometimes)... I am giving understanding and encouragement to others when that's all I can give... I am loving and caring for others by learning from them, appreciating them, seeing the good in them and overlooking their bad attitudes and terrible choices in life... I am forgiving myself and freeing myself of shame and guilt... I am loving myself by celebrating my uniqueness, appreciating my own body when I feel like criticising me because of my flaws... I think of my family and friends that I have helped and supported. I read the messages that I have sent to my loved ones or posted on my Facebook where I was encouraging them and sharing to them what I'm so passionate about. When I am lacking, I declare that God is providing me everything I need and I claim His plans to prosper me. I inspire others by embracing my inner beauty through self-love, gratitude, positive thinking, wisdom and humility. I have shared great moments with my friends and loved ones through my comedy (I'm fabulously silly around my friends. I just love making others smile!). Those were the times that I do strongly feel that I truly live an abundant and amazing life.... just like what I prayed about.
So, I'm still going to change the world, and now, what?
What if I can be so stinkin' courageous and focus on loving myself so happily that the devil won't know what to do with me anymore? I personally feel very strongly passionate that this journey will be nothing but A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! So, help me, God!
(PS: I refer "devil" to fear, doubt, worry, negative thoughts and influences, bad habits, insecurity, pride, selfishness, materialism, procrastination, trash, fat... etc.)
For the fun of it, here's the movie trailer of Evan Almighty. Whether you are inspired to change the world or build a boat, or simply finding your purpose in life, this religious comedy can enlighten you.

No comments:
Post a Comment