Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Million Beauty Manifestos - Taking Back Beauty Movement

I could not have dreamed of a bigger dream and challenge myself to do something that I've never done before in my life - than this one... I don't need to do this but I want to, and that's a good reason enough for me to pursue this "next chapter"!

I have appointed myself to become one of the VOICE and ADVOCATE of a new women's movement called TAKING BACK BEAUTY MOVEMENT. Its mission is to debunk all the lies about our own beauty (known as "Beauty Myths"), shift the society's definition of beauty (not only based it on how we look but how we live), and compel the media especially the beauty industry to portray women responsibly.

I have instantly become overwhelmed by this as this is a personal struggle that I can relate to my whole life. How many times have I looked at my Victoria's Secret catalog and looked at my self in the mirror with discouragement, asking myself, "Why don't I look like any of these women?" The beauty industry here in America has defined the perfect ideal beauty as tall, skinny-slim, blonde, flat tummy, big breasts, young, surgically enhanced, no stretch marks, no wrinkles, no pimples, no opinions, posing in some sexually suggestive manner and looking like she's floating.... So, most women and young girls could not relate to this "beauty", including my fabulous and curvacious self! I felt that the definition of beauty has been distorted by the media, that if you don't look like Barbie, you are ugly and unworthy!

This is not an issue of low self-esteem or having no confidence for women. The issue here is that the rest of us REAL women are buying these lies and believing that we are not enough, that we are not worthy, that we are not deserving, and no matter what we do, we can never be the ideal beauty that God created us to be.

To kick off my new mission, I have created a new video of myself inviting each one of you to participate with me in your own little way. I am ambitious enough to DREAM that I'd reach out to millions of fabulous women (of all sizes, race, color, or age) around the world and ask a million of you to define what true beauty means to you - and not what the media or your society or your culture tells you. Your own written words are so powerful enough to make a change within you, and believe that you are truly beautiful just like God made you to be, and that you are worthy enough and deserving to be loved and be respected just the way you are!

It's so easy to do this. Simply write down your own beauty manifesto in a piece of paper, take a photo of it with your self (if you'd like), then post it online at www.starlingtruebeauty.com/1millionstrong. And tell your loved ones about it! This will immediately create awareness to the media and beauty industry executives that WE, REAL WOMEN, should be portrayed in a realistic and respected manner. Thanks for your support for this worthy cause that will be changing the world one true beautiful woman at a time - starting from you.

No comments:

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon