Saturday, January 3, 2009

Detrimental Blogger (That was me a year ago!)

I was a detrimental blogger (used to blog in Friendster) in the beginning of 2008. I wasn't sure if this blogging was for me, and didn't know what kind of character I should put on. I changed my identity many times and at this point, I'm sticking with the gutsy Fabulous Pinay image, as you can see in my new YouTube video above this article.

Before I officially start blogging for 2009, I want to share with everyone one of my favorite posts (and I think my best post) in 2008.

Detrimental Blogger
February 15th, 2008

About two weeks ago, I started blogging here in Friendster and I honestly did not know what I was doing. I had mixed awful feelings about it. I was very nervous of what I say about me and my past experiences. I was curious about what my closest friends and family would think of me. Should I keep going and remain passionate in my blogging, or should I just have to find something better to do like teach my dogs to sing ABC? What if my parents would come across this and find out that I used to drink Red Horse using a straw? Will my father be mad at me and disown me forever, or maybe he’ll buy me a round of drink with spicy sisig on the side? What if people think that I’m exposing too much of myself in the cyber world and that they hate my guts? What if I’m just wasting people’s time as they read my non-sense posts? So many questions and confusions have terrified me that I did not sleep and did not take a shower for a week. I asked myself, “What is this stupid thing that I’ve done?” To calm my self down and before I shave my head, I thought I better research more on blogging to make sure that I’m not putting my stinky foot in my mouth here in front of my beloved family and friends. I went online and I found some helpful tips, guidelines, and interesting rules that I’m tempted to break.

I could potentially become a professional writer after college if I only pursued it. So if I became a journalist, I will write something like this: “Utah is magnificent this winter.” But as an amateur blogger, I can write something like this: “This winter is killing me. Shoveling snow in our driveway almost every night is driving me crazy. This has been the worst winter for me in the past 6 years that I lived here in Utah. But what I love about it is when I wake up in the morning to a bright blue sky, a shimmering blanket of snow covering our deck, the smell of crisp clean air, and the perfect view of the beautiful Wasatch Mountain in the backdrop… where else in the world would I want to be and see something so spectacular!”

In the blog writing article, it was emphasized that I should feel free to say what I want to say and give my honest opinions. That’s really not my cup of tea. It only confused me as there were no clear warnings on honesty. Should I be writing what’s really going on in my head? That’s very dangerous. So if I was a fashion critic, I will write: “She wears a seductively low plunging neckline.” But in my blog, I can write: “I can’t believe I’ve ever seen such long boobs in my life!” If I will write an editorial, I’d say: “There are more effeminate men out there in the work force.” But in my blog, I can write: “Hold your horses, ladies and gentlemen, give way to these closet drag queens taking over!” At work, if I’m emailing a client, I will write: “Please keep us in mind for your next meeting. I hope you’ll consider bringing your conference to our resort in the future.” In my blog, I can write: “Are you insane? You must be kidding me. You’re a pain in the butt!” And if I was consoling a friend, I will write to her: “You don’t deserve all these loneliness and pain that you are going through with this man. How long do you have to be in this misery?” In my blog, I can write: “Quit being a pathetic loser! You can shoot yourself or kick his balls and leave the devil in hell!” You see, honesty in blogging is just ridiculous and it won’t work for me.

But what really caught my attention in my research is that I need to be funny and should amuse my readers, and that I should not take myself too seriously. Well, that’s even tougher… I’m going to have a hard time on this one. I now realized that blogging is not for me after all. I’m too boring with nothing much going on and nothing fun to say. Well, I guess it’s time for me to move on and change careers… I decided I’ll just become a “misfortune teller.” Anybody out there who wants to know their next bad luck?

No comments:

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon