Friday, December 19, 2008

Story of a Lost Ski Bunny in the Windy City

I am fortunate to be able to travel a number of times a year for sales mission for my company. This December, my destination is the Windy City of Chicago!

Chicago is my favorite city of all! Since it's my third time now to be in the windy city, I found that Chicago is so easy to navigate as the downtown area is well planned. I instantly felt comfortable walking around on my own and discover new places, and still be able to find my way back to my hotel safely in one whole piece. I knew I was going to walk a lot on my free time, so I was smart enough to prepare for the worst weather in Chicago! To fight the freezing wind and possible snow while wandering outside, I brought with me my thickest SKI JACKET! ... And my story just begun!

City Preview: This is Barack Obama's and Oprah Winfrey's hometown. The hotel that I stayed at was soooo huge that my whole town could fit in it. Parking fee was $25 for one-hour or 24-hours. Lots of city busses and cabs for people who don't want to drive. There were literally thousands of people out in the streets walking to shops, restaurants, to train stations, everywhere. There were scary looking beggars in every corner. As a small mountain town diva, I easily got overwhelmed and claustrophobic!

Chicago Story: There were no signs of recession in this city. In Michigan Avenue, people shopped in expensive stores like Louis Vitton, Gucci, Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus, etc. They all dress up in their fancy hats, fur coats and wool jackets, and nice boots! Crazy people lined up to be able to get in the Apple Store! I was brave to walk inside Macy's Department Store. There were blood-thirsty shoppers in every square foot of this forsaken place. I thought I was in a club but I was not! So, before I could pass out of suffucation, I managed to get my self out of that place.

My Story: Ski Jacket in Downtown Chicago? What the h--- was I thinking? The first 2 days I was out, I looked like an outcast-ski-bunny in the city! I mean, I looked terribly weird. I was having a beauty meltdown. The ski jacket served me it's purpose. I was SWEATING to death... from my head, my neck and my armpits! I wanted to try out some tiny clothes in one store but I was afraid I was going to stain all over it. The only time I appreciated my ski jacket was one night when it was negative 20 degress outside! My gloved hands were frozen... and the strong wind felt like there were blades brushing through my cheers. So this is what bad weather they are talking about... and oh boy, it was cold!

Here's my only self-portrait in Chicago in my hotel before my hair and make up get messed up outside. The rest were taken as I walked down from my hotel to Michigan Avenue. The more I looked up at these skycrappers, the more I love our beautiful mountains in Utah.
















No comments:

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon