Monday, December 1, 2008

Me, Twilighted...

First of all, I can’t believe that it’s already December 1st! I didn't realize that until I was changing my voicemail greeting at work today. Where did my whole year go? Well, we’re not going to talk about that.

Let’s talk about what every girl is crazy about here in America…. A girl’s new fantasy… that pale-faced... waxed-eyebrow... cherry-lips... sun-glistening cold-skin... speed-flying... eye-changing colors… that gorgeous teen vampire Edward Cullen. I could go on and on about him, and I will not run out of adjectives.

Here's my reality. I never liked fantasy movies (or books), more so a series of it... like Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter. I can’t relate and I don’t really care, period. Speaking of Harry Potter, I saw another trailer of its upcoming 10th sequel… When is it ever going to end? I guess they won’t stop making Harry Potter movies until Harry is 99 years old (or worse, dead!), or until every child in the world is converted to witchcraft. God forbid.

So, I wanted to watch “Australia” last weekend, but my husband paid me a whole ensemble of holiday party outfits and accessories from a mannequin display at Express and a couple of new Miracle Bras from Victoria Secret, which is truely “miraculous" by the way… (what a way to bribe me!) just so I would watch this Twilight movie with him. No regrets.

Surprisingly... I got hooked! And I was “Twilighted.” In short, I kind of fell in love in the movie…Yikes! The story obviously has thrown a spell on me big time. I am now itching to read the book. Funny thing was, I kept thinking about Bella Swan’s mouth… I am convinced that Edward fell in love with her two front teeth! I mean, the poor girl seriously needs some bronzer or blush and she can’t keep her mouth shut, I mean, closed. Okay, fine. I’ll stop mocking this movie now. I guess they are supposed to look cold, and not supposed to smile a lot… weird. Just watch the movie or even better, read the book!

I just got so mesmerized with the author of this best-selling book. The author, Stephanie Meyer, earned her English degree here in Utah (BYU), and I watched her at Ellen DeGeneres show on Thanksgiving. She kind of inspired me as she only started documenting her dreams and it got so long and became a fantasy novel... and now a series of 4 books... and now became a block-buster movie all over the world with sequels to follow.

Which gave me a fabulous thought…. what if I can write something similar in a Philippine setting? Like a convoluted love affair between a "manananggal" (a self-segmenting flying viscera sucker in the Philippines) and a preacher… Hmmn, I’ll try to find my inspiration by snacking a snickers bar and watching a Shrek Christmas movie! Let's see what kind of nightmares I can recollect and turn into a best-selling novel.

No comments:

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon