The Best Days of my Life at the Peninsula 1995-1999
February 9th, 2008
My very first career venture after college was at the front office of the beautiful Peninsula Manila Hotel as a receptionist and cashier. I was only 20 years old then and coming from St. Scho, my new officemates perceived me as a super conservative “manang,” (old lady) as if I came out of a convent (later on, they found out they were wrong. Ha-ha-ha!!). I’ve been criticized by the way I walked like a tomboy in high heels and in our fuschia pink uniform. After duty, people made fun of my choice of outfits: my high waisted baggy faded jeans and floral printed long sleeved blouses, and my promdi hairdo full of hairpins and gigantic ribbons. Covering up my promdi accent with the Manilenea twang, it didn’t take me very long to develop lasting friendship with these people who made such impact in young life. I was genuinely kind to all and was immediately accepted as my jolly, happy, “kenkoy” (funny) and “vaklita” (gayish) self. I called everybody Tito and Tita, and gave some fun nicknames to few.
I can’t enumerate all my fun experiences I had gained in those years. To highlight some of my foolishness at the front desk: I had joked to a guest that the white mouse he saw in the hall way was his room attendant. I made a guest upset when I told him that cockroaches were very sacred in the Philippines and that he could be arrested by killing one in his room. I have scared away some guests who would ask to date me and told them weird stuffs like I was a transvestite, or a lesbian… or that I came from Siquijor from a family of blood-sucking aswangs… I have successfully turned them off.
My most treasured moments were hanging out with my Pen friends after work, whether it’s after 3pm or 11pm. We’d go to short trips to Antipolo or Tagaytay, or go to some beach resorts in Cavite or Batangas. Sometimes we’ll just hang out in Makati Ave, or Pasay Road, or Harbor View to have cocktails during happy hour. Through these years, I have learned to eat sisig, gambas and bopis. I was always present in all the wild birthday parties and pool parties. In fact, I’ve been thrown to the pool a couple of times. I also became good friends with Mr. Cuervo, and sipped Red Horse using a straw!! In some few occasions, I’ve had private conversations with the toilet bowl as if someone was down there and I swore not to intoxicate myself ever again.
I will always cherish our activities during the Pen’s anniversary parties. I danced hip hop with the Bell Boys, hosted the Mr. Pogi and Ms. Peninsula pageant, sang live in a band (Aaron, remember?), won in a group dance contest (who were with me in this?), and for the very first time, I lost in the Ms. Peninsula beauty pageant where I didn’t win any award!! How could that ever happen? I remember my mom almost protested!!
I also blossomed during this time at the Pen, both socially and romantically!! I became very comfortable communicating and expressing myself while dealing with people of different personalities and cultural backgrounds. Aside from having the best group of friends EVER and the best times of my life, I’ve had few crushes and dated some interesting ones. But who would have thought that I would meet here the man who was to become my husband? Ronald Trinidad (FO Supervisor and Cashier, indeed!!), he was my best friend and the kuya (elder brother) that I never had. I called him “Tito Ronald” and gave him a pet name “Titit.” (I still call him that until now. He-he-he!!!) I can never forget when I broke his heart at Tia Maria in Greenbelt!! (He swore he’ll bring me back to this place one day!!) I was clueless that we will be destined for each other… On April 20, 2002, in Park City, Utah, we vowed to be together forever.
To you all my good old Peninsula friends who are keeping in touch with me here in Friendster, I still do remember our MARCH 28, 2008 date!!!! Ten years ago in Munting Buhangin Beach Resort, we made a vow to meet again at the Peninsula’s Service Entrance on March 28, 2008 at 6pm…. Thanks for the reminders, Tony, Eric and Lally!! I won’t be there in my manang floral printed blouse (ha-ha-ha!!!), but I will be there in my bonggacious and gorgeolicious spirit cheering with you all… Can someone please order me some sizzling sisig and a Red Horse with a straw, please??
No comments:
Post a Comment