Promdi in America, Lost in Transition
March 5th, 2008
People digging out their cars from deep snow in the middle of a frigid winter, brutal winds blowing against my cheeks, living with 16 strangers in a 3-bedroom condo, sleeping on a window loft, how could my new life in Park City, Utah be more humbling?While everybody was worried about their families they left behind in the Philippines, I was worried about surviving in a foreign country on my own. The thought of doing my own laundry and cooking terrified me. Mixing of hot & cold water in the shower stressed me. My dandruff, split-ends, chapped lips, cracked hands; my becoming stinky feet grieved me. Thanks to the inventor of the microwave, it became my instant life support.
On my first trip to Albertson’s Grocery, I was simply looking for something similar to our “Tasty Bread” and “Ques-o” cheese in the Philippines. Their bread aisle drove me crazy! I have never seen hundred kinds of breads in my life: white, wheat, multigrain, their honey versions, potato, rye, sour bread, baguette, French, bagel with different flavors, etc. The cheese section was even more insane: cheddar, mild and sharp, Swiss, American, ½, Philadelphia, Neuchatel, Pepper Jack, Monterey, string, Mexican mix, (but no Philippine cheese to my surprise!) not to mention the stinky cheeses, bleu, feta, brie, etc. Could life be any more complicated for me? I just want to eat, period.
While I learn more about the American culture through my first hand encounters, the Americans were learning more about me as I speak with my exotic accent. So I grew up with a nanny, I have never washed dishes in my life; I have never washed my own clothes and didn’t know how to iron, never cooked, never used the vacuum, and never had to drive. They were curious from what kingdom on Earth did I come from!
The daily news in the Philippines was about bank robberies, massacres, gang rapes, murders and homicides, bomb threats and political rallies. That was normal. The news in Park City is more exciting: Deer crossing Main Street caused traffic as tourists took pictures, ski patrol helicopter saved moose stocked in snow, major storm hits Park City as skiers flood the mountains and hotel rooms, leather belt or cell phone found in the parking lot, lost dog or dogs looking for love, yard sale and $3M home for sale.
I was working at a Front Desk in a hotel but like everybody else I needed a second job to survive and live decently. I cleaned a few houses, did baby sitting, bussed in the restaurants, and served in banquets. But the most humbling of all was when I worked in Albertson’s Bakery in the closing shift. I sprayed wash tons of baking pans, cleaned grease on all working tables, and used a push broom that was taller than me. I had horrible burns on my hands and arms from the oven while loading and unloading French breads. But the most fun part of this job was advertising my products on the store’s intercom, “Fresh French bread now available.” It was simple but it was a tongue twister for me. I just can’t say it right.
I’ve made good friends and few cash in Park City. I travelled around the country to visit my relatives from the west to the east coast. I became a Christian (Baptist) along the way. I’ve been challenged to look for a better job and better life, as I searched for my Mr. Right at the same time.
But God led me back to Utah to be blessed by His power in His creation of this place full of magnitude and beauty that I refused to see. Utah is indeed the most beautiful state that I’ve ever seen. This is where I learned to live life with humility, and learned the value of hard earned money. I carried this value with me when I returned back home to the Philippines. Little did I know, there’s a greater purpose that was unknown for me at that time, which God has yet to reveal.
No comments:
Post a Comment